Monday, March 05, 2007

I have been using the Blueye for about two months now and so I thought that a review was in order.

This handy little device operates very similar to the Apple iPod remote with a few differences. In terms of shape, it resembles the old iPod remote. The clip on the old remote sucked and was ineffective in clipping onto things. The Blueye suffers from the same problem. Too often you look down and see the remote hanging a couple feet down your front. You can't lose it but it is a bit of a pain.

One other point, before we get to the main functionality of the device is the radio button. The old apple remote enabled an FM Radio on the iPod which you accessed through the click wheel. The Blueye uses a FM Radio button on the side of the device just below the lock slider. It is too easy to hit when you are trying to clip it to your jacket or fumbling for the play button. Hauling out your iPod to determine why it will not play your music and finding it tuned to 88.9 on the FM dial is inconvenient.

Finally, the main use of the Blueye is to provide Bluetooth connectivity to your mobile phone. You are walking along, listening to tunes on your iPod, and your phones rings. You hear the ringtone through your earbuds and answer the call. When you hang up the call, your music starts up again.

Setup involved a few cryptic key presses, but the two devices were easily paired up. The connectivity is as good as the in-your-ear Bluetooth devices and it does not make you look like a Borg.

The earbud volume is set by the phone's volume, if you use the phone without the Blueye and then reconnect, it can blowout your ears, . I tend to use the phone speaker volume set on high when walking next to city traffic, and then have unpleasant loud volume in my ears when I reconnect the phone to the Blueye.


You can use voice tags to call people (there is a small voice tag button on the Blueye remote), so this is a wasted feature on me. This never really worked for me when I tried it with just the phone. I feel very silly when I shouting people's names into my phone repeatedly while it dailed no one.

I had one problem in that checking your calendar on the phone will stop your music. If you turn off your keypad tones, the phones will send no sounds to the headset and allows you to use your phone without shutting off your iPod.

All in all, the Blueye does what it says on the box. I tend to use it more often than not. I own an Apple iPod remote, which has been replaced by the Blueye.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

?Andrew?
Pam
p_roberts@telus.net